2018年春天，美國南佛羅里達大學音樂系將會召開一項國際音樂藝術節和研討會，藝術節將於2018年4月6日至2018年4月7日在南弗羅裏達大學佛羅里達洲坦帕校區舉行，藝術節有四場音樂會和四場研討會組成；最終組委會會選拔20-25名作曲家的作品在藝術節期間演奏，12-16名學者的與當代音樂相關的論文或者演講稿在此期間發表。藝術節音樂會將以嘉賓樂團的弦樂團為典型性特徵，嘉賓吉他演奏家Dieter Hennings、嘉賓薩克斯演奏家Doug O’Connor，嘉賓聲樂家Thea Lobo會現場助陣。決賽音樂會期間將由享有盛名的McCormick打擊樂團全球首發一首由嘉賓作曲家David Liptak創作的鋼琴和打擊樂的協奏曲，點亮全場！
– All submissions should be between 5-15 minutes in duration.
– Works composed after 2012 are eligible.
– Works integrating video are acceptable for any category.
– Previously performed compositions are eligible.
– Works of any style, aesthetic, and notation will be accepted.
– There is no entry fee to submit a work for consideration.
– Composers may provide their own performers or submit to one of the categories below.
– Selected composers are expected to register and attend the entire symposium.
The following submission categories are possible:
1. Strings and Hammers (or any subset) – Piano, Violin, Doublebass (guest ensemble)
2. Percussion Ensemble (maximum of 15 players) – McCormick Percussion Group (featured USF ensemble, produced by Robert McCormick)
3. Mezzo-soprano voice and Piano – Songeaters
(guest vocalist Thea Lobo and pianist Eunmi Ko)
4. Solo Saxophone (alto or soprano) with piano or fixed media accompaniment (guest saxophonist Douglas O’Connor)
5. Mixed Chamber ensemble works requiring 2-10 players.* (produced by the New-Music Consortium)
6. Works for solo instrument or voice.
(produced by the New-Music Consortium)
7. Works for 1-5 performers with fixed or live electronics (1-5 channels). (produced by USF’s SYCOM)
8. Works for electronic playback only (1-5 channels). (produced by USF’s SYCOM)
9. Trumpet Ensemble (3-6 players; Bb, C, Eb Trumpets, Bb cornets, flugelhorns, and piccolo trumpets are available). (produced by Jay Coble, Professor of Trumpet)
(produced by Tom Brantley, Professor of Trombone)
11. FluteEnsemble(upto8players,noContrabassFluteavailable) (produced by Kim McCormick, Associate Professor of Flute)
(produced by Brian Moorhead, Associate Professor of Clarinet)
*Chamber Ensemble Instrumentation (category 5): The instrumentation may be a subset of the following (if the NMC is to provide the performers):
(2) Oboe/English Horn
(2) Clarinets (Bb, Eb, or Bass Clarinet) (2) Bassoon/Contrabassoon
(2) Saxes (Alto, Tenor, and Bari)
(1) Bass Trombone
(1) Double Bass
(1) Soprano Voice
(1) Mezzo Soprano Voice
(1) Tenor Voice
If the composer intends to supply his/her own performers, the composer must indicate so on the submission form. If this is the case, the composer may utilize any instrumentation and any amount of players. *
* If a composer would like to provide his/her own percussionist(s) but utilize the percussion instruments available at USF, please provide a clear list of required percussion instruments with the submission.
PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
– Papers/Presentations should be no longer than 20-25 minutes, with time remaining for questions.
– Any topic related to contemporary music is eligible (theory, musicology, ethnomusicology, composition,
electronic music, interdisciplinary arts, philosophy, etc.).
– Selected presenters are expected to register and attend the entire symposium.